Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 "The Art of Dueling" out of print? 
Martin Kocajda

Hello everyone!

I was interested in purchasing a copy of Tom's book, but when I followed the link to Amazon it was listed at around $1000! Shocked Is it out of print or something? If so, is there a plan to issue a second edition anytime soon? I've payed almost that much for books before, but more of the antiquarian variety as opposed to recently published works.
 Re: "The Art of Dueling" out of print? 
Chris Holzman

Martin Kocajda wrote:
Hello everyone!

I was interested in purchasing a copy of Tom's book, but when I followed the link to Amazon it was listed at around $1000! Shocked Is it out of print or something? If so, is there a plan to issue a second edition anytime soon? I've payed almost that much for books before, but more of the antiquarian variety as opposed to recently published works.

Chivalry Bookshelf still lists it as available, http://chivalrybookshelf.com/, but their order link takes you to: http://revival.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=243 which shows 'temporarily out of stock'.

edit:
It's worth noting that several WMA books on amazon are showing up at utterly idiotic prices recently, and I'm not at all certain why.

Wichita, KS, USA
"Remember that the calm spirit is the only force that can defeat intinct, and make us masters of all our strengths." -- Capt. Settimo Del Frate, 1876.
 Will there be a re-release? 
Steve Avlier

Greetings Tom,

I purchased my copy of the Art of Dueling a few years back when chivalry bookshelf offered it as a 3 book offer (Art of Dueling, Art of Defense, and Italian Rapier combat 'Gran Simulacro'). Seeing that my AoDueling has been getting bad wear and tear, I began looking for a replacement recently. Finding it out of print was not what I hoped to see. Will there be a re-release or perhaps a PDF/ e-book release?

Yes, I have been seeing incredibly high prices as well, even for used versions.

Steve Avlier

Myles Cupp

I too would love to see this book back in print. Many members in the rapier study group in Kron desperately want their own copy but alas there is no easy solution. A new edition through Freelance Academy Press would be a boon for rapier enthusiasts all over the world! Razz

Tom Leoni

Hello, all!

I have a total of 5 copies left, besides my own. I have been selling my last few for $100 each, so as not to feel like I'm taking advantage of people, while not totally undercutting myself (given what the prices are out there).

I am negotiating the full rights of the translation, which would mean that in the next few years I may re-release the book with the necessary changes/updates.

Tom

Founder, Order of the Seven Hearts
 Dibs~! 
John Knoch

I would like to buy my own copy of the 5 you've listed as available. Let me know what I can do to get you the money, and I'll provide my address (and the money). Myles brought back a copy for himself and Brian, and Dylan has had his own, so I'm one of the only members in our study group that is missing it! I have your Giganti translation, and Myles is buying me the Capo Ferro as payment for a custom rapier scabbard I'm making him. I'd love my own copy of Fabris so that I can read this fantastic book instead of hearing everything second hand!

~John

StephanTheriault

After reading this thread the other day I checked amazon out of curiosity, and almost had a heart attack. They actually had copies in stock selling for 26.37. Needless to say I ordered immediatly, they say it will ship in one to three months. Anyhow they still have two copies as of now at 29.16. So hurry while it lasts.

Joshua Santana

I am negotiating the full rights of the translation, which would mean that in the next few years I may re-release the book with the necessary changes/updates.

That is good!

Fight the good fight!

Thomas Ross

A free copy of a capo ferro translation can be obtained from the following address: mac9.ucc.nau.edu/manuscripts/Capo-Ferro_GRAUF.pdf
It compares favorably to the out of print version as I have had an opportunity to compare them. My fencing master has the original book, the price tag is still in the book with a price of 25 pounds.

Pamela Muir

If you are looking for Capoferro, check out the version available from Freelance Academy Press. It is much more than just a translation, and the images are outstanding as well.

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/capoferro.aspx

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

Michael Boring

I was just curious how plans for a re-release have been progressing in the year since the last posts? I know that last year Guy Windsor was in the same situation with "The Duellist's Companion". Through correspondence with him, I know he was able to get things "figured out" and now you can get copies from $10 to $30. I managed to get a copy of the "Art of Dueling" through my library and found it to a great resource. I would love to have my own copy, but the lowest price I've seen is over $500. A new copy on Amazon is almost $2000. Any news would appreciated, since I know that there are quite a few folks waiting "with baited breath" for a re-release.